Dr. Nick Honkamp joined Des Moines Orthopaedic Surgeons in 2007, after completing an extensive Sports Medicine Fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh. Dubuque native Dr. Honkamp then returned to Iowa to build his orthopaedic practice specializing in all aspects of shoulder and knee injuries from arthroscopic treatments to joint replacement. Knee cartilage/ligament injuries, shoulder instability repair and rotator cuff repairs are also interests of Dr. Honkamp's. He also enjoys treating traumatic injuries and fractures. In addition to his orthopaedic practice, Dr. Honkamp volunteers at various local high schools, West Des Moines Soccer Club and Grand View University as the team orthopaedic physician.
Dr. Nicholas Honkamp is committed to tailoring a treatment strategy that best fits a patient's lifestyle, including operative and non-operative treatments.
Outside of practicing medicine, Dr. Honkamp enjoys playing golf and spending time with his wife and four children.
- Undergraduate Education: University of Notre Dame – Bachelor of Science, 1993-1997, South Bend, IN
- Medical Education: University of Iowa – College of Medicine, M.D., 1997-2001, Iowa City, IA
- Orthopaedic Residency: University of Wisconsin – Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, 2001-2006, Madison, WI
- Fellowship Training: University of Pittsburgh – Department of Sports Medicine, 2006-2007, Pittsburgh, PA
- Board Certified, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, Member
- Arthroscopy Association of North America, Member
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Fellow
- Iowa Orthopaedic Society, Member
- Iowa Medical Society, Member