Urbandale native Dr. Chris Nelson has enjoyed his time as a DMOS hip and knee surgeon since joining the practice in 2010. Dr. Chris Nelson's practice focuses on the areas of hip and knee surgeries. Dr. Nelson is the only orthopaedic surgeon in Iowa with fellowship level training in both hip replacement and hip arthroscopy. In addition, he has a vast knowledge of both complex and simple joint replacements and revision joint replacements. Dr. Nelson’s other professional interests include sports related injuries and general sports trauma. Outside of his practice, Dr. Nelson enjoys supporting local sporting events, which includes providing sideline orthopaedic coverage for the Des Moines Bucs Hockey Team and other local organizations. He also enjoys golf, snow sports, and above all - spending time with his family.
- Medical Education: Des Moines University - College of Osteopathic Medicine, D.O., 1999-2004, Des Moines, IA
- Orthopaedic Residency: Michigan State University, Garden City Hospital, 2004-2009, Garden City, MI
- Fellowship Training: Washington University in St. Louis, Barnes-Jewish Hospital (Joint Preservation, Resurfacing and Replacement), 2009-2010, St. Louis, MO
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Iowa Medical Society, Member
- Iowa Orthopaedic Society, Member
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, Member